Take a minor as part of your Bachelor’s programme
Tailor your study programme by taking a minor that suits your interests. You can either explore another subject with an interdisciplinary minor or you can choose to specialise and study a topic in greater depth.
A variety of minors are available at each UvA faculty. A minor is a cohesive set of courses worth 15 to 60 ECTS credits (most minors are 24 or 30 ECTS) that you can take in addition to your major. Read more about minors in the online Course Catalogue.
- Choose a minor
- Check the entry requirements and application process in the Course Catalogue
- Submit enrolment application in Studielink (non-UvA students)
- Check whether you will need to pay tuition
- Register for a minor
1. Choose a Minor
Why take a minor?
- To expand your breadth of knowledge by choosing an interdisciplinary minor or a minor in a different field.
- To increase your depth of knowledge by choosing a specialised minor in your field.
- To prepare for the process of choosing a Master’s programme.
- To start thinking about your options after the Bachelor’s programme.
2. Check the entry requirements and application process in the Course Catalogue
Choose a minor from the list of Minors to find a link to the Course Catalogue, which contains more information about the entry requirements and the application process for each minor.
3. Submit enrolment application in Studielink (non-UvA students)
If you are not currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s programme at the UvA, you will need to register as a guest student. You can find instructions on how to register as a guest student for elective courses (as part of a minor).
4. Check whether you will need to pay tuition
Non-UvA students are not required to pay tuition fees for a minor, provided they pay the statutory tuition fee at their own institution. The UvA requires confirmation of this in the form of an original Proof of Payment (Bewijs Betaald Collegegeld) from your institution. This receipt must clearly state that it has been issued for the purpose of registration at the UvA.
If you have not paid the statutory tuition fee at your institution, different rules apply. Please see the Enrolment Provisions for the University of Amsterdam or contact the Student Service Desk.
5. Register for a minor
Once you have chosen a minor from the list of Minors, you can click on the link to the Course Catalogue to find more information on how to register. You can find this information under ‘Practical matters and information’. Be sure to check when the period for course registration opens.